Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Birding with baby and toddler- Get them involved!

Perspective of a toddler? She snapped this one!

I was sitting on a small bridge on a trail, watching shorebirds in a marsh. She seemed to be enjoying brushing her hands on the wildflowers along the edge and stamping back and forth along the bridge itself. An adult Bald Eagle flew over and I stood up to snap a few quick pics. The bird started to circle. It was probably one of my better chances to get a good photo of an eagle in flight. But I looked down at my daughter, now tugging on my pant leg. She wanted the camera, because it has buttons and a screen, and it is a fun toy. I put the camera down and picked her up instead. I pointed to the eagle, and we watched it as circled directly overhead twice more, then rode a wind to the south. I did not get the photograph, but we shared a moment that has more meaning than megapixels.

2 comments:

  1. That's the mindset! As a camera-happy person (fun toy indeed!) I am working on staying IN the moment, not just capturing it.
    Wonderful phrasing, too: ..."more meaning than megapixels." I appreciate that a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BLD in MT! Mindset is everything, huh?

      Delete