Sunday, June 17, 2018

Birding with a five-day old

Despite having had one kid already, the first few days with a new one I felt like I forgot how to do everything. How do I hold a newborn? How do I get through the night when needing to wake up every few hours? How do I keep this little human alive?



After returning from the hospital and then taking the baby by subway to the first check-up, I felt buoyed by reports of good health for the little one. Naturally, then, I took the baby birding.

Birding with a five-day old baby required staying close to home. We went to Hallett Nature Sanctuary at Central Park, a four-acre chunk of woodland in this much larger urban park. Although spring and fall birding are legendary in Central Park, summer holds less promise. We had to start somewhere, however, and this was the closest place. 

Birding with a five-day old baby is short. The baby basically slept in the carrier I wore, and we were constrained by the need to feed with a very specific diet every few hours.

Birding with a five-day old baby requires careful attention to every step. The baby is still a little bag of bones and lumpiness, pretty much completely vulnerable. Any missteps on my part could impact the baby's health. I stopped every few minutes and held my breath as I waited to feel the small pumping of the baby's breath against my chest. Still breathing each time!

Birding with a five-day old baby works best if you can use your ears. Most birds are heard in the woods at this time of year anyway. I was grateful that a Northern Parula was singing (and surprised- is this a late migrant or is it trying to breed here?).

Birding with a five-day old baby allows you to enjoy the sightings right in front of you that usually you might ignore for observations of something less common. Thanks to the Gray Catbirds and Northern Cardinals for perching within feet of us. 

Although quick, close to home, and relatively tame compared to past adventures, it was exhilarating to bird with such a new life. It is hopefully just the first of many more bird adventures with the little one! 

1 comment:

  1. That's sweet. How old were you when you first went birding, Jared?

    ReplyDelete