Friday, December 15, 2017

Birding with baby and toddler



In 2015, I started my most exciting bird adventure. My wife and I had our own little baby bird. Actually a little human, but you get the idea.

We first took out baby within 2 weeks of her birth. In her first year, she visited city parks, two state parks, and a national wildlife refuge. I am sure people thought we are crazy, but being birders, they already thought such things of us.

We took our baby birding because that is what we do anyway, and we want to do what our family does. It wasn't hard, not any harder than doing anything else with a little one. It got baby and us outside, in fresher air, and in environments where senses are stimulated and learning is endless. If you are a birder, and a new parent, take this to heart- your birding life is neither over nor on hold until retirement. 

I have been hesitant to write or post anything about our young one as I value her privacy, especially before she has a say in the matter. Therefore I will withhold plenty of details about her and unfortunately, many of the cutest photos too. However, others have encouraged me to write and since I see so few other birders on the trail with kids, I hope these posts help foster a new generation of birders, birding parents, and birding families.

No comments:

Post a Comment